One of the Top Games of All Time Continues to Entertain with New Next Gen Console Games, Mobile, and Social Experiences Launching in 2014
June 6, 2014 — Tetris®, the iconic and beloved video game that ushered in the casual game craze, is celebrating 30 years today. With hundreds of millions of products sold on more than 50 platforms across 185 countries, Tetris continues to evoke a passionate response from fans of all ages. In 2014, the Tetris brand will introduce new products and experiences – from apparel to decor to video games – to kick off the next 30 years.
“Our theme for the 30th Anniversary of Tetris is We All Fit Together. It speaks to how Tetris transcends cultures and language, and will continue to be fun for anyone, anywhere to play for generations to come,” said Maya Rogers, CEO, Blue Planet Software, sole agent for the Tetris brand. “We all have an inherent desire to create order out of chaos – whether in playing a game or packing the trunk of your car. No matter where the game is played or brand is celebrated, there will always be Tetris.”
To mark the 30th anniversary, fans across the globe are coming together to celebrate in meetups (meetup.com/Tetris30) involving retro gameplay, tournaments, bakeoffs, and more. And with an eye to the future, the Tetris brand continues to expand its reach, not only among those who experienced the game during its first 30 years, but also among younger generations who are just now experiencing Tetris for the first time. From its humble beginnings to the new games and products launching this year, there’s something for the Tetris fan in all of us.
- Ubisoft’s new Tetris Ultimate – which includes exciting modes, fun features and unique visuals, allowing 1-4 players to face off in six different game modes – lands on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this summer.
- Electronic Arts introduced a new mode to Tetris Blitz (iOS, Android) called Retro Blitz to mark the 30th anniversary, with shapes, styles and colors that are an homage to the original Game Boy version from 1989.
- Tetris Online, Inc. is joining in the celebration with 30th Anniversary updates to the Tetris Battle game on Facebook and the all-new Tetris Battle: Fusion game, now available for download on Amazon Fire TV.
- Rasta Imposta is bringing the Tetris lifestyle to adoring fans in the form of great Tetrimino-shaped Halloween costumes, interactive costumes and accessories.
- Robe Factory is extending the Tetris lifestyle into our everyday lives from the moment we step out of bed with plush robes and slippers, and into the bathroom with great Tetris designs on shower curtains, towels and rugs. The Tetris fun will continue on great new leggings, socks, footwear and more.
“I never imagined Tetris was going to be this successful. But the simple, yet addicting nature of Tetris still has me playing it a few times every week,” said Alexey Pajitnov, the creator of Tetris. “I meet fans from around the world who are also as passionate about Tetris as me, and there is no doubt in my mind Tetris will continue to expand and bring its classic appeal to new players in new ways and on new devices, whatever they may be.”
A celebratory video spotlighting 30 years of video games and fan love for the brand is available at: Tetris 30th Sizzle
Logos, bios, screenshots, and other media assets available at press.tetris.com
About the Tetris® Brand The Tetris® brand is one of the leading and most distinctive video game brands and franchises in the world with over 425 million paid mobile downloads, and over a billion games played online per year. In the game’s 30 year history, hundreds of millions of players have experienced the Tetris Effect. Tetris is loved globally by people of all ages and all cultures. Partnered with Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Sega, and Hasbro, the Tetris game continues to be one of the most widely recognized video games of all time. Tetris Holding, LLC is the owner of Tetris rights worldwide and The Tetris Company, LLC is its exclusive licensee. For the latest information about the Tetris brand and Tetris products, please visit http://www.Tetris.com.